VFW POST 679
Welcome to Glassboro Memorial Post 679.
Our mission at VFW Post 679 is to foster patriotism, to cultivate comradeship,
to perpetuate the memory and history of our dead, to assist comrades, to help
their widows and orphans, to maintain true allegiance to the Government of the
United States of America, to its Constitution and laws, to advocate true
patriotism, and to preserve and defend the United States from all her enemies,
foreign and Domestic.
The membership of the VFW is comprised of men and women who have served their
country honorably in overseas engagements for which a campaign badge or medal
has been authorized by the U.S. Government.
The American Veterans of Foreign Service was formed in Columbus Ohio on
September 29, 1899. Also in 1899, an organization which called itself "the
Colorado Society, Army of the Philippines" was founded. During 1901-1902 in
Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Altoona, Pa., three other veterans' groups were
These three merged in 1903 and also took the name of the American Veterans of
Foreign Service although there was no formal connection between them and the
Ohio organization. In 1905, a connection was made when the Ohio and Pennsylvania
organizations met in Altoona and drew up an agreement of merger. In time these
organizations realized that in order to be more effective, it would be in the
best interest to merge into one organization.
In the year 1913 the three organizations agreed to hold their National
Convention together in Denver, Colorado. The merger took place and the
organization was named Army of the Philippines, Cuba, and Puerto Rico. This name
was formally Changed to Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States at the
1914 National Convention in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.